The NTRC may approve of equipment to a Telecommunication Network or terminal equipment in Pursuant to the Telecommunications Act No. 31 of 2000. The approval may be effected after the issuance of a Certificate. Type Approval or Certificate of Conformity is granted to a product that meets a minimum set of regulatory, technical and safety requirements. The Type Approval is required before a product is allowed to be sold in the country.
What is a Type Approval Certification and why is it required?
Type Approval of radio communication device and terminal equipment is the authorization of equipment which has never been granted a license for manufacturing or importation, by verifying the compliance of the equipment against the standards which have been adopted by our administration. It ensures that the equipment conform to appropriate standards and principles of product safety and will not interfere with other equipment or network.
What is Terminal Equipment?
Certain Telecommunications devices that are connected at the customer's or user's premises. It is mandatory to obtain Type Approval certification for any radio communication device and terminal equipment intended for use in the State of Grenada.
Equipment requiring Type Approval in Grenada include but are not limited to:
* Cellular phones
* Cordless phones
* Fax machines
* GSM telephones
* Mobile radios
* Wireless remote devices
* PABXs (including small business systems and key systems)
* Radio receivers
* Radio transmitters
* Satellite earth stations
* Telecommunications switching equipment
* Telephone instruments
* Telex Equipment
* Other equipment emitting a radio signal
* SRD (Short Range Devices)
* Cellular GSM, WDCMA LTE
* WLAN (2,4Ghz, 5Ghz 10Ghz)
* Tyre Pressure Sensors
* Remote Keyless Entry
* Wireless Can Bus
* MBAN (mobile Body Area Networks)
* Mobile Satellite Communications
* Wireless Energy Transfer
* Any customer premises equipment to be attached to any part of a licensed telecommunications network
Procedure for acquiring Equipment Type Approval in Grenada
All radio or Telecommunications equipment require Type Approval before they can be imported, installed, sold or used in the state of Grenada. To gain Type Approval Certification for radio and/or Telecommunications equipment the following procedure must be followed:
1. Submit a signed letter requesting Type Approval along with the following information to the NTRC Grenada:
i. Completed Type Approval Application Form
ii. Technical Documentation of the Equipment
iii. Foreign Type Approval Certificate (FCC or other Regulatory Body Certification)
iv. Letter of Authorization (if applicant is an Authorized Agent) (optional)
v. Test Reports
vi. Application Fee of EC$500 per application
vii. A Sample of the Equipment may be requested
viii. User Manual may be requested.
2. Payment of Application Fee
i. Applications paid for by Foreign or Certified Cheque, International Money Order etc. have a lead time of approximately 6 weeks starting from the time all the relevant documents and payments have been received by the NTRC.
ii. Payment by Wire Transfer, Local Cheque or Cash has a much shorter lead time.
Type approval for Radio Communication equipment in Grenada is done by recognition of type approval test reports which are prepared according to international standards.
Grenada recognizes the international standards set by the following bodies:
* FCC: Federal Communications Commission
* ANSI: American National Standards Institute
* ETSI: European Telecommunications Standardization Institute
* ITU: International Telecommunications Union
* IC: Industry Canada
* CE: European Conformity
* Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Standard: Radio communications equipment should have EMC standard in accordance with international standards.
* Electrical Safety Standard: Radio communication equipment should have Electricity Safety standard in accordance with international standards
* Applications are accepted from: Manufacturer of equipment or authorized institution. An individual user for a specific piece of equipment.
Terms and Condition of Certification:
The certificate is valid under condition that the equipment being granted approval is identical to the one tested. Any changes to the name or model of the type approved equipment will require a new type approval. This involves reapplication with revised supporting documents. If the technical specifications have not been amended, reference can be made to the original type approval. However, the applicant must submit a letter of declaration stating that the technical specifications for the old named/model equipment is the same as the new name/model equipment. The Certificate may be revoked if holders use it beyond approved scope or if determined to have been obtained illegally. Other Licensing Requirements: Applicants may be required to obtain other licences to make, import or install radio communications.
NB: Please Note that a separate application is required for each model of equipment