Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons for appointment
to the post of LEGAL OFFICER with the Eastern Caribbean Telecommunications
Authority (ECTEL) at its regional Headquarters’ office located in Saint Lucia.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the general direction and supervision of the General Counsel and Secretary, the
LEGAL OFFICER shall be expected to, among other things:
- Provide legal advice, interpretation and opinions on matters relating to effective
- Electronic Communications/Telecommunications regulation.
- Prepare legal opinions on administrative and contract matters.
- Advise the ECTEL Member States on Electronic Communications/Telecommunication
- Assist in the evaluation of all licence applications, customer complaints, access and
- interconnection agreements, offences and infractions of licences and regulations, and
- other regulatory submissions under the Telecommunications Act/Electronic
- Communications Act and regulations.
- Advise on licensing and tender procedures.
- Advise on the appointment of mediators and arbitrators.
- Draft model electronic communications legislation as required.
- Review draft legal instruments, such as treaties, national, regional and international
- Advise on matters requiring arbitration or alternative dispute resolution.
- Perform functions of Secretary to the ECTEL Board when required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The applicant should possess:
- First degree in law, preferably from a university in the English Commonwealth
- Certificate in Legal Education Certificate (LEC) or equivalent
- Admission to a Commonwealth Bar (preferably within the ECTEL Member States or
- CARICOM Member States)
- At least five (5) years’ experience in a similar role
- Post-graduate qualifications or three (3) years experience in legal drafting and/or
- electronic communications/telecommunications regulation would be an asset
- Prior experience in a regulatory agency and/or public law would be an asset
- Corporate Governance
- Legal Knowledge and Skill in Regulation and Compliance
- Regulatory Policy Development
- Sound Legal Judgement and decision-making ability
- Research Skills and knowledge of Online Legal Resources
- Service and Results Focused
- Strong Written and Oral communication skills
- Strong Presentation Skills
- Excellent Planning and Organising Skills
- Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills
- Independently Motivated
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
The successful applicant will be offered a permanent position following the successful
completion of the probation period.
The compensation package is set at Grade 4, is free of income tax, and includes housing
and vehicle allowances.
The successful applicant will be based at the Authority’s Headquarters in Saint Lucia and
will be entitled to a relocation grant and baggage allowances (including transfer of a
vehicle) if recruited outside of the duty station.
Please go to the website, www.ectel.int and click on “About Us” and “Career
Opportunities” or follow the link below to apply:
Applications should be accompanied by curriculum vitae and the names and contact
information of three (3) referees, along with certified copies of relevant certificates.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 25th February 2022 at 4:30PM.